Photo: Peter Cairns / Wild Wonders of Europe
Nature Needs Half is a vision and practice for people and planet.
Nature Needs Half™
How do we achieve the goal?
Nature Needs Half™ is a science-based and common-sense vision of a relationship between people and nature that ensures enough natural areas of land and water are protected and interconnected – and of sufficient size and resiliency – to provide life-supporting ecosystem and biodiversity services that are essential to both human health and prosperity and a bountiful, beautiful legacy of wild nature.read more...
The magnitude of the global ecological crisis we face today – and the availability of better and more accurate ecological information — demands that conservationists provide a clear and accurate global conservation target that will realistically keep our planet viable.read more...
Reaching the goal of at least half is ambitious but achievable. The short term milestone for the progress of this vision is to move urgently to protect at least half of the planet’s remaining large, mostly intact wilderness areas (for example Boreal Forests, the Amazon Basin, and formally protecting Antarctica), while achieving incremental gains by quickly protecting surviving remnants in fragmented areas of very high biological importance.read more...
- An Ecoregion-Based Approach to Protecting Half the Terrestrial Realm
- NNH Network recruits support for protection of half the planet by 2050
- Taking Action Today: Establishing Protected Areas for Canada’s Future
- Harvey wants half
- Nature Needs Half Network [VIDEO]
- We Can Put an End to the Extinction Crisis
- Nature Needs Half: A Necessary and Hopeful New Agenda for Protected Areas (US version)
- John Muir’s Last Stand
- Can the World Really Set Aside Half of the Planet for Wildlife?
- Nature Needs Half: A Necessary and Hopeful New Agenda for Protected Areas
Total Amount of Oceans Protected*
Total Land Area Protected*