Why is connectivity important in the rainforest?
Dr. Tom Lovejoy, considered to be the “godfather of biodiversity,” revels in the importance of a connected rainforest ecosystem in the Amazon and the role that his Camp 41 serves — embedding human aspiration in natural landscapes.
Background image: © Diego Lopez/ Wild Wonders of Europe
Photo © Cristina Mittermeier
For 15 years, Flashbay has specialized in manufacturing technology products. Now, they are taking on a new project: helping save the Amazon rain forest.
Nature Needs Half is a vision and practice for people and planet.
Nature Needs Half
How do we achieve the goal?
Nature Needs Half is a science-based and common-sense vision of a relationship between people and nature that ensures enough natural areas of land and water are protected and interconnected – and of sufficient size and resiliency – to provide life-supporting ecosystem and biodiversity services that are essential to both human health and prosperity and a bountiful, beautiful legacy of wild nature.read more...
The magnitude of the global ecological crisis we face today – and the availability of better and more accurate ecological information — demands that conservationists provide a clear and accurate global conservation target that will realistically keep our planet viable.read more...
Reaching the goal of at least half is ambitious but achievable. The short term milestone for the progress of this vision is to move urgently to protect at least half of the planet’s remaining large, mostly intact wilderness areas (for example Boreal Forests, the Amazon Basin, and formally protecting Antarctica), while achieving incremental gains by quickly protecting surviving remnants in fragmented areas of very high biological importance.read more...
- Why is connectivity important in the rainforest?
- “Extinction tsunami can be avoided”
- The Field Guide to Nature Needs Half: NGOs aren’t the only ones working to save the Amazon
- “The ‘future of conservation’ debate: Defending ecocentrism and the Nature Needs Half movement”
- The Field Guide to Nature Needs Half: The Amazon is calling, will you pick up?
- The Field Guide to Nature Needs Half: The secret to saving the rainforest? Hint: It’s smaller than you think.
- The Field Guide to Nature Needs Half: Kayapo Prowess – Could you defend a rainforest from deforestation without an iPhone?
- The Field Guide to Nature Needs Half: Traditional Cultures & NGOs Ally To Prevent The Wholesale Deforestation Of The Rainforest
- Half the world must be set aside for nature, says Canadian conservationist
- Safeguarding space for nature, securing our future
Total Amount of Oceans Protected*
Total Land Area Protected*